Welcome to Course Reserves!
This is a special section of the library's collection: books which have been specifically requested by your professors for use in your courses.
- How is a course reserve book different than a textbook or a normal library book?
- When a book is added to the course reserve shelf at the Library Circulation Desk, it is unable to leave the library. Textbooks can be rented for entire semesters and library books can be rented for weeks at a time, but course reserves can be rented for 1 or 2 hour periods for use only within the Thorne Library. This is to ensure that all students enrolled in the course have access to the material.
- How do I request a course reserve item?
- First, find the tab at the top of this page which corresponds to your class. You'll be taken to a page which lists all of the available items for that course and you can check to see if the item you need is available for checkout. Then, come to the Circulation Desk in the Thorne Library and ask the library staff to check out the course reserve item to you. Make sure to bring your MVNU ID card with you. The staff member will let you know how long you may use the item. You may renew the item at the circulation desk when your time is up as long as nobody else has requested it.
- The item I need is not available as a physical copy. What does that mean?
- There are two options here. First, your item might be available as an eBook, in which case the library staff will provide you with an iPad for the 2-hour checkout period instead of a physical book. Second, your item might be available online through EBSCO, meaning you can access the material from your own device without coming in to the Thorne Library.